Mezquita-Catedral

The Incarnation

by Pedro de Córdoba

If we focus on the compositional aspect, we can appreciate how the work is structured around two different distances. The first is characterised by having in the foreground a complex image of eight figures, in descending size towards the centre. Thus, the representations of Saint John the Baptist and Canon Juan Muñoz appear as a reminder of the original dedication of the chapel and its original founder. Next to them is the second representee, Diego Sánchez, who carried out the commission for the panel and who is taller. After him are Santiago -who is pointing to the benefactor with his hand-, Saint Ivo of Kermartin and Saint Barbara. After the Baptist, are Saint Lawrence and Saint Pio I.

In the background we see the moment of the Annunciation to the Virgin Mary by Archangel Gabriel. We also see the presence of the Holy Spirit and Eternal Father, who is represented through the male figure looking out of the window. The scene takes place in a domestic room, an ideal setting for the painter to demonstrate his ability to produced detailed works, focused on reflecting the material qualities of the objects.

Pedro de Córdoba

Hispanic-Flemish style painter active in the city during the second half of the 15th century. Details of his life and work are unknown, although the "San Nicolás de Bari" in the Museum of Fine Arts in Cordoba is traditionally attributed to him 

Location
Mezquita-Catedral
Technical sheet
  • Title: The Incarnation
  • Author: Pedro de Córdoba
  • Date: 1475
  • Material and technique: Oil on panel
  • Dimensions: 271 x 156 cm
  • Location: Next to the Chapel of Santa Inés (south wall)
Key features of the work
  • The following inscription can be seen on the painting: "This work and altarpiece were commissioned by Diego Sánchez de Castro, Canon of this Church, in honour of Our Lord and his Holy Incarnation, and the blessed Saint John the Baptist, Santiago, Saint Lawrence, Saint Ivo of Kermartin, Saint Pio Pope and Saint Barbara, completed on the 20th day of March in the year 1475"

  • Its last restoration dates back to the year 1990

We use anonymous cookies

If you continue browsing, we will assume that you have accepted their use More information